• Moskvitch 410

    The Moskvitch 410 was an experimentally designed limited production car made by Soviet manufacturer MZMA from 1957 to 1961. Initially conceived as an economi...

  • Moskvitch 2142

    The Moskvitch 2142 is a line of cars produced by AZLKs Moskvitch division from 1998 to its bankruptcy in 2002. It was the last and most advanced line of Mosk...

  • Aleko

    The Moskvitch-2141, also known under the trade name Aleko, is a Russian mid-size car that was first announced in 1985 and sold in the Soviet Union and its su...

  • Moskvitch 2140

    Moskvitch 2140 series is small family car produced by Soviet automotive maker AZLK from January 1976 to 1988. It started first as Moskvitch 2138 and Moskvitc...

  • Moskvitch 408

    The Moskvitch-408 series is a small family car produced by the Soviet car manufacturer MZMA/AZLK between 1964 and 1975. The first prototype was made in 1960....

  • Moskvitch 402

    The Moskvitch 402 is a compact car manufactured by the former Soviet automobile maker MZMA, first time introduced in 1956 as a second generation of the Moskv...

  • Moskvitch 400-420

    In 1940 and 1941 500 units of the KIM 10-50, the first Soviet compact car, were produced. It was inspired by the similar-sized four-door Ford Prefect and, de...

  • Moskvitch 412

    The Moskvitch 412 is a small family car produced by Soviet/Russian manufacturer MZMA/AZLK in Moscow from 1967 to 1975, and by IZh in Izhevsk from 1967 to 198...

Moskvitch

Moskvitch was a Soviet/Russian automobile brand produced by AZLK from 1946 to 1991 and by OAO Moskvitch from 1991 to 2001. The current article incorporates information about both the brand and the joint-stock successor of AZLK for the sake of simplicity.
OAO Moskvitch was a privatized venture name given to the former factory in order to avoid legal issues after the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991. Since the factory had no assembly branches outside Russia after 1991, its name is largely used today to refer to the building located in the lower eastern part of Moscow and abandoned since 2006.
The word moskvich Russian: москвич itself translates as a native of Moscow, a Moscovite ". It was used to point out the original location of the cars manufactured in the capital of Russia, Moscow.

1. History
In 1929 the construction of Moscow Automotive Plant began with initial production of 24.000 vehicles. Between 1940 and 1941, it built the two-door compact car KIM 10-50 and its "Phaeton" version KIM 10-51. In 1941, after having produced under 1.000 units, the plant was evacuated to Ural and the entire production converted for the manufacture of military equipment after Hitlers invasion during World War II.
After the war, the production of the KIM cars was not resumed, and instead the Soviet Union acquired an Opel manufacturing line from Brandenburg in Soviet occupation zone of Germany to manufacture the modified Opel Kadett under the name Moskvitch-400 in December 1946. In the 1950s and afterwards the factory, now called MZMA, replaced it with its own cars developed by Soviet engineers: the second post-war generation consisting of the Moskvitch-402–407 and 410, then by the more advanced Moskvitch 408, 412 and 2140. The M-407 was the first Soviet automotive export to be truly successful in the West. Up to half of all M-407 production was exported for a number of years, mainly to the Eastern Bloc countries, Norway, Finland, and France. Later models were also sold in Great Britain, Finland, and Norway, for instance, and in 1968, 55% of production was for export. In 1969, the factory changed its name to AZLK Avtomobilny Zavod imeni Leninskogo Komsomola, which means "Automobile Factory in honor of Komsomol Leninist Communist Youth Union".
Moskvitch cars were sturdy, reliable on substandard roads and were offered at low cost. Demand always exceeded production, so people in the Soviet Union had to wait a long time for a new car. Until the 1980s all Moskvitch cars were compact rear-wheel drive saloons and estates with solid rear axles suspended by leaf springs.
The Moskvitch was also produced in Bulgaria see Moskvitch Bulgaria) between 1966 and 1990 on the basis of complete knock down CKD kits. Models 408, 408I, 412, 21412 "Aleko", total of 304.297 cars.
In 1986 the Moskvitch-2141 Aleko became available for the first time. It was influenced by the Simca 1307. It was upgraded and restyled during the period of its production. It was powered by the 1.5L UZAM used in the M-412 model and VAZ-2106 1.6L in-line four-cylinder engines, which had by then had been used in several LADA models. Aleko was different from any model the factory had made previously: it was larger and more luxurious, made with more comfort, safety and aerodynamics in mind. The new car had such features as front-wheel drive, a hatchback body style, MacPherson strut front suspension and torsion-crank rear suspension. It had rack-and-pinion steering and a collapsible steering column. The 1.8 liter gasoline engine for the new car was planned, but never materialized, was also the case with a diesel version. In the early 1990s AZLK still remained one of the largest auto companies in the USSR. Design and experimental work was prepared to create a new model car sedan M-2142 and an engine plant. However, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, due to a financial crisis, disruptions in the work of the company and financial mismanagement the engine plant was not finished and the Moskvitch company fell into decline. Because of its location, Moskvitch was in a more vulnerable position than companies located in other regions, as the cost of living and car production in Moscow began to grow rapidly.

2. OAO Moskvitch
The factory, which had been renamed to OAO Moskvitch Joint-Stock Company in the early 1990s, filed for bankruptcy in 2002 and ceased production. Unfinished bodyshells remained on the production line in various stages of completion, while furniture, computers, office supplies, and documents remained in the plants administration building. Several attempts to restart production have been made over the next 3 years, but none were successful.
A portion of the abandoned plant was acquired by OAO Avtoframos, a 38–62% joint venture between the City of Moscow and French automaker Renault SA. In 2005, Avtoframos commenced assembly of Renault Logan sedans from imported complete knock-down kits CKDs. The presence of Avtoframos brought new life to a small part of the facility, but the majority of the sprawling plant remains abandoned, apparently still owned by the dormant Moskvitch company.
The bankruptcy of OAO Moskvitch was officially announced in 2006 and the company was liquidated the following year. As of 2016, over a million Moskvitch cars remained on Russian roads.
Since 2009, the owner of the brand Moskvitch is the German automotive company Volkswagen. In 2011, the company extended its brand ownership rights until 2021, a 10-year period.

Moskvitch 412

The Moskvitch 412 is a small family car produced by Soviet/Russian manufacturer MZMA/AZLK in Moscow from 1967 to 1975, and by IZh in Izhevsk from 1967 to 198...

Moskvitch 400-420

In 1940 and 1941 500 units of the KIM 10-50, the first Soviet compact car, were produced. It was inspired by the similar-sized four-door Ford Prefect and, de...

Moskvitch 402

The Moskvitch 402 is a compact car manufactured by the former Soviet automobile maker MZMA, first time introduced in 1956 as a second generation of the Moskv...

Moskvitch 408

The Moskvitch-408 series is a small family car produced by the Soviet car manufacturer MZMA/AZLK between 1964 and 1975. The first prototype was made in 1960....

Moskvitch 2140

Moskvitch 2140 series is small family car produced by Soviet automotive maker AZLK from January 1976 to 1988. It started first as Moskvitch 2138 and Moskvitc...

Aleko

The Moskvitch-2141, also known under the trade name Aleko, is a Russian mid-size car that was first announced in 1985 and sold in the Soviet Union and its su...

Moskvitch 2142

The Moskvitch 2142 is a line of cars produced by AZLKs Moskvitch division from 1998 to its bankruptcy in 2002. It was the last and most advanced line of Mosk...

Moskvitch 410

The Moskvitch 410 was an experimentally designed limited production car made by Soviet manufacturer MZMA from 1957 to 1961. Initially conceived as an economi...